Immortalis Animus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joseph Curwen

Hello All, I Found a Fascinating Quote I Thought You Might Enjoy Empty Hello All, I Found a Fascinating Quote I Thought You Might Enjoy

Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:33 pm
Greetings Everyone,

Ever since discovering Mikal Nyght's three books early last year, one of the most fascinating things I've noticed change in how I see the world is that I see the themes in the books as a kind of implicit subtext in a lot of media, even when that is not the author's conscious message. Recently, I ran across a quote from the Southern Reach series of Lovecraftian science fiction novels by Jeff Vandermeer. The 2018 movie Annihilation is based on the first book in the series, from which it takes its name, but the quote does not appear in the movie. The quote itself is obviously a mild spoiler, but, isolated, is only a mild one. It runs as follows -

"Where lies the strangling fruit that came from the hand of the sinner I shall bring forth the seeds of the dead to share with the worms that gather in the darkness and surround the world with the power of their lives while from the dimlit halls of other places forms that never were and never could be writhe for the impatience of the few who never saw what could have been. In the black water with the sun shining at midnight, those fruit shall come ripe and in the darkness of that which is golden shall split open to reveal the revelation of the fatal softness in the earth. The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit—and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive. And there shall be in the planting in the shadows a grace and a mercy from which shall blossom dark flowers, and their teeth shall devour and sustain and herald the passing of an age. That which dies shall still know life in death for all that decays is not forgotten and reanimated it shall walk the world in the bliss of not-knowing. And then there shall be a fire that knows the naming of you, and in the presence of the strangling fruit, its dark flame shall acquire every part of you that remains."

To me, this quote is clearly pointing towards the process of transmogrification as the power of the Double grows and manifests itself more and more to the mortal self. And before going on, it is interesting to note that according to online accounts of the process by which the books were written, the sentences which form the core of the paragraph came to Vandermeer in a dream, and the entire rest of the series was written around that. MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

The basic setup for the plot is that there is a remote area which has been taken over by a strange being, which has been genetically altering the wildlife in bizarre ways, and members of expeditions sent to explore disappear, to be replaced with doppelgangers which mysteriously materialize in their places of residence with no explanation as to how they traveled the intervening distance. Eventually, it emerges that this being is the result of a merger between a fragment of a strange kind of interdimensional alien machine which crash-landed, its creators having vanished sometime in the past, and Saul, the local lighthouse keeper and former pastor who left his vocation when he had a crisis of confidence in what he was preaching (this is why the quote was written in the style of a sermon). The machine fragment is attempting to continue what it was originally programmed to do, but in an inevitably flawed way because it is only a fraction of the whole of which it used to be a part, and it makes contact with Saul when he pricks his finger on a mysterious, alien flower which the fragment created. This begins the process of the merger of the two. As it nears its completion, Saul's experience is described as "Something was about to crest like a wave. Something was about to come out of him. He felt weak and invincible all at once. Was this how it happened? Was this one of the ways God came for you? He did not want to leave the world, and yet he knew now that he was leaving it, or that it was leaving him."

What do you think? Do you agree with my interpretation? Have you encountered similar meanings in literary works?
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum